by Ari Bendersky / Rolling Stone
30th October 1997
David Bowie was just named Britain’s wealthiest rock star. With a net worth of approximately $917 million, Bowie edged out Paul McCartney, who’s worth a paltry $868 million, for the top spot, according to a survey compiled by Business Age magazine.
The first two spots far outweigh the next rock star, Tom Jones, who came in at No. 3 with $459 million — $409 million less than McCartney. Earlier this year, Bowie issued bonds on Wall Street for future earnings on his back catalog, earning him an additional $55 million for that transaction alone.
All the musicians who grace the Top 10 are men; there are only three female acts in the Top 50: Annie Lennox (No. 34 with $43 million), Kate Bush (No. 38 with $30 million) and the Spice Girls (No. 42 — each member’s worth equals $24 million).
Britain’s Top 10 Wealthiest Rockers:
- David Bowie – $917 million
- Paul McCartney — $868 million
- Tom Jones — $459 million
- Phil Collins — $367 million
- Elton John — $333 million
- Mick Jagger — $225 million
- Eric Clapton — $200 million
- George Harrison — $175 million
- Sting — $161 million
- Keith Richards — $160 million